top of page
GYM CONQUER ジム筋華のブランドイメージ

The Hidden Truths and Functions of Calcium



Calcium! It's not just for bones! This mineral is the most abundant in the body, comprising 1-2% of total body weight, with 99% found in bones and teeth, and the remaining 1% in blood and extracellular fluid. It supports a multitude of life-sustaining functions!

Illustration dramatically depicting the impact of calcium on bones, muscles, and blood coagulation. A muscular figure with glowing bones and muscles, with calcium ions shown as sparkling particles. The brain sends commands to muscles, and calcium assists in blood coagulation.

Muscle Contraction! The Astonishing Power of Calcium!

When muscles receive the command to contract, calcium ions are released within the muscle, triggering the contraction! Calcium deficiency can lead to muscle weakness, cramps, and even tetany (numbness and stiffness of the limbs)!


Role as a Second Messenger!

Calcium ions act as a second messenger within cells, transmitting vital information. While hormones and neurotransmitters serve as first messengers, calcium plays a crucial role inside the cells!


Importance as a Coagulation Factor!

When you get injured and bleed, platelets first gather to provide emergency treatment, but blood coagulation requires calcium ions! Without calcium, blood cannot clot!


Calcium Paradox! The Paradoxical Phenomenon!

When calcium is deficient, it is released from bones. However, it may be released in excess, leading to calcification in blood vessels and causing arteriosclerosis! This is known as the "Calcium Paradox"!


Appropriate Intake Amounts!

According to the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, the recommended intake is:

  • Males: 12-14 years 1000mg, 15-29 years 800mg, 30-49 years 650mg

  • Females: 12-14 years 800mg, 15 years and older 650mg

However, current average intake levels are insufficient! An appropriate intake is around 1000mg per day, but excessive intake should be avoided!


Foods Rich in Calcium

Dairy products, small fish, seaweed, and dried daikon are rich in calcium! Whey protein, derived from milk, also contains calcium, so those who consume a lot of protein may not need supplements!


Choosing Supplements

Calcium citrate and calcium acetate are easily absorbed, while calcium carbonate is less so! The balance between calcium and magnesium is also important! Phytic acid and oxalic acid can hinder calcium absorption, so be cautious!



0 views0 comments

Comentários


bottom of page